Saturday, August 04, 2007

Hello. My name is:


ROWAN!!
Little Niblet is now officially Rowan Campbell Greenaway. After much discussion, deliberation and agonizing, we picked a name. I know that for those of you who were following the decision closely, this name may come as a surprise. We weren't trying to fool anyone, it just came to us a few weeks ago as even a possibility. For those of you not familiar with its origin, it is indeed a Scottish name, reflecting our family roots (at least some of those roots). It means "little red one" which he can certainly be sometimes, even if he is a little blondie. Rowan is also the name of a tree that we call the Mountain Ash here in America. In England and Scotland they call it the Rowan and plant them around churches. Apparently they keep the evil spirits away. Hopefully Rowan can keep the evil away from our new little family.

As far as Campbell goes, its a family name on Ellen's side. Ellen's maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother (so what's that, great-great grandmother) was Florence Ruby Campbell. We wanted to have some history in little Rowan's name. I always liked having my grandfather's name as my middle name. So that's where Campbell came from. The combo of the two is pretty good I think. A nice strong name.

Now Ellen, Rowan, and I are living back in the yurt. Rowan is sleeping in the same crib that his uncle Lane slept in as a baby. It's fitting because everyone says that little Rowan looks like him. We have had several people comment that "He looks just like Lane!" We'll see what he ends up looking like as he grows up. Its really strange how he seems to change everyday. It's fun to check him out every morning and see how he's changed overnight.

Rowan and Ellen are both doing well today. Everyone is recovering from the whole birth ordeal. Today was his due date, and both Ellen and I are glad that he decided to arrive a few days early. Had he decided to wait a few days, he surely would have been a nine pounder. I don't think Ellen would have appreciated him being any bigger.

No comments: